Monday, March 28, 2011

My sentiments exactly

"They probably taught you different in marketing, but renting property, it's never seemed an honourable way to make money to me," Yasar says.  "Using money to make money."

"Isn't that what this is about, getting finance to make more finance?"

"This is getting finance to make something that will change the world. Notice the two little extra words in there? 'Make something.'"

  - From The Dervish House, by Ian McDonald

This quote has been on my mind lately, as I consider new employers with the hope of finding something more fulfilling to do than leveraging technology to market products to people who really don't need them.

"Make something."

I heartily recommend, well, everything by Ian I've been able to get my hands on.  His treatment of a future India as told by River of Gods and Cyberabad Days was startlingly good -- not because I had low expectations, but because he starts with a culture which is already foreign to me and extrapolates it into places which you can't help but be changed by visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment